Friday, August 18, 2017

August 16th

We went to the EAA membership meeting, where Bruce talked about Oshkosh.  Ken's on at me to go next year :o)

Tuesday, August 15, 2017

August 14th

I got out on my bicycle, and I don't know if it's the cooler weather we're having just now, the wind being in the right direction or the new headset and chain, but it feels almost like a new bike :o)

In the evening I got out to the airport and fiddled with the plane a little - I made sure the carbs were upright and level, and swapped the EFT probes over.  I only did 2 circuits (the wind was beating the crap out of me), but the EGTs didn't get anywhere near as high as they were yesterday, but I'd still like them to be a bit lower.  We'll see if I decide to raise the needles.

Monday, August 14, 2017

August 13th

We went out to get supplies (supplies!) and picked up a beach ball for Tilly - she really likes playing with them, and this one lasted almost 3 minutes.

We then got ourselves sorted out and replaced the leaking sprinkler valves in the back garden.  You're supposed to go valve to threaded connector, glued on to the pipes coming out of the ground.  That was looking problematic due to how close to the ground the pipes are (because of the patio), so we cut the old sprinklers off, installed a threaded to pipe fitting to the threaded adapters coming out of the ground, and then a short piece of pipe before the next threaded adapter into the valve.  This means there's about 1/2" of pipe you can cut to remove the valve, and then you just unscrew the threaded adapter and replace that bit.  There's an extra adapter there, true, but the pipe doesn't get shorter every time you do something with the valve.

I had intended to go flying in the evening, but the wind was gusty (it's cooling down in the next few days), so I decided to try and get out in the week.

Sunday, August 13, 2017

August 12th

I started the day at the airport cooking breakfasts before a talk on online flight planning.

When I got home, we moved the fish tank into the front room, and I spent some time on the EAA web site.

It's Tilly's birthday, so she got a couple of her favourite cookies.

When the postie finally arrived, they brought the operating limitations for the Flightstar, so I went out to the airport, put (raw, no more premix) gas in the plane and took it out for the first flight.  It accelerates and climbs great - usually I'm at 600' (ultralight pattern height) by the end of the runway, but I was there about half way down the runway now, and the VSI showed 800-900' per minute, despite the almost 3,000' density altitude.  Great!  Not so great was the overly high EGT on one cylinder.  I did a couple of circuits and put it away - I'll look at swapping the sensors in case it's a sensor problem.

When I got home, the postie had been again and left the water tank for the fridge, so I got that installed and now we have water and ice in the fridge again.

Saturday, August 12, 2017

August 11th

I figured the best way to make sure I wouldn't get the operating limitations today would be to pick up the bicycle, so I could go to the airport this evening.  As a lunch, I went and picked up the bicycle, and it's all sorted out.  I didn't get the operating limitations today.

In the evening, I installed a new chain on the bicycle.  I've read stuff that says you should be changing it every 1,000 miles or so, and thought "whatever", but was surprised at how much the old chain has stretched compared to a new chain.  You have to break the new chain to the right length, so I now have a new tool.

Later on, I got the new router working - the stunted software on the Arris 6580 router / modem makes that a lot more difficult than it needs to be, so I've kept that covering the older 2.4GHz devices.  5Ghz devices are now running a lot faster  - I'm seeing over 100Mbs to the interwebs.

Friday, August 11, 2017

August 10th

I called around, looking for bearings for the bicycle, but due to the planned obsolescence, nobody has them.  One very helpful guy (Roseville Cyclery) suggested changing the whole headset, as that wouldn't be that much more expensive (the bearings alone listed for $48).  Sadly he didn't have a headset in stock, but Performance Bicycle did, and would install it cheaply enough (I don't have the bearing puller and other tools required).  I took the bicycle over after work, kind of hoping they could do it then (I can change _motorcycle_ head bearings in about 20 minutes), but I get to pick it up tomorrow, all sorted out.

Thursday, August 10, 2017

August 9th

I spoke to Dilly at the FAA, and he's working on my new operating limitations.  Hopefully he can get those out today, ans I might even get to fly with the new engine this weekend :o)

The steering on the mountain bike has been getting a little stiff, so I figured it's time to check the bearings.  I got them out without too much aggravation, and found what looks like a flake of paint in the bottom one.  They don't feel great, even after a cleaning, but I was trying to get everything back together, and even with Vic's help, it wasn't having it.  While taking it apart again, one of the sealed bearings came apart and dumped the balls all over the floor.  I've found most of them, but it looks like I'll have to get new bearings before I can go riding again :o(