Monday, August 6, 2012

August 4th

I've bought myself a little airbrush, in a series of comical events.  So I started out with the base kit, only to find some parts missing.  I also found it had a single stage trigger, so it'd be like using a spray can.  I took that back and upgraded to the "deluxe kit", that has a 2 stage trigger (air and paint), but when I opened it I found that it had no air hose.  I was starting to knock something up with 1/8" fuel hose that I had left over from working on the plane when I said "screw it" and went back and bought an air hose.

When we got back from that, we rotated the wheels on the Jeep, so that hopefully all 5 wear out together, rather than end up replacing a spare tyre because it's old and cracked, rather than it's run out of tread.  It does, of course, mean that the tyres are (even) noisier for a little while while they wear in going the other way.

I started playing with the airbrush - from what I've read, I should be able to use Windex(tm) to thin out the acrylic paint that Vic uses, and spray that.  That works for me, as I doubt I'll use much paint, and she has every colour known to mankind.  First I needed to clear off the paint I'd brushed on (with a fork, by the look of things), and after a suggestion from Don, I used degreaser - it takes the paint off without destroying the plastic.  Yay.  Anyway, when it came to throwing paint, it doesn't look like the Windex works... all I threw was very watery, and then the brush blocked.  Still, it's nice to have taken it apart to see how it works, and how to clean it all up.  I then spent a happy little time spraying water on myself.

In the evening we went to dinner with Vince - it's been a little while since we've seen him, as he'd either eaten something bad or had beer flu last weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment