Thursday, July 3, 2014
I installed a new (DOCSIS 3.0) cable modem/router, to take advantage of a 50Mb/s cable upgrade. I'll be honest, I didn't really think it out very well, so I just plugged it in and got it working with Comcast. Then I remembered the port forwarding, reserved DHCP addresses and suchlike I'd had set up. I started the old router, so I could copy down the old configuration and reconfigure the weather station to use the new router. I couldn't get the TED5000 to work, so there was a lot of testing things, trying other things and so on until I discovered that the CAT-5e cable was the problem. Unfortunately I only had 6' cables (other than this one 10' cable), so I ended up moving the router closer so I could plug in the old cable, and everything now works. The only thing I miss is the ability to have my own DNS configuration, for when Comcast's is playing up - I like to have one of the servers configured to an OpenDNS server as a backup, but meh.
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Post a Comment